CARMELIZED FENNEL AND APPLE CHUTNEY
Serves ALOT ( be prepared to can and/or give to neighbors and friends)
WHAT YOU NEED
2 T English rapeseed (vegetable) oil
7 Fennel Bulbs (or onion), stalks and core removed, thinly sliced
15 Bramley apples, washed, seeded, and sliced
125g brown sugar
2 lemon, zested and juiced
2 lime, zested and juiced
1T cumin powder ( or toasted cumin seeds)
50g fresh ginger, grated
1/2 bunch mint leaves, washed and finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
- Heat large saucepot over medium heat, then add rapeseed oil.
- Add fennel to pot and slowly cook down till wilted and well browned, adding splash of water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Add sugar to sauce pot and melt. Then add sliced apples and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients except mint into pot.
- Put on very low heat and stir carefully/occasionally until apples are cooked.
- When ready mix in mint and adjust Seasoning.
MORE DISHES TO WASH
· Serve this with your favourite roast pork or turkey dish.
· Can or freeze the chutney to preserve for the months ahead.
· A great accompaniment to your Ploughman’s!!!!