After spending all of todays sunlit hours sitting at my kitchen table writing a policy paper on national anti-obesity campaigns such as EPODE, Lets Move and Change4Life I realize that so much is written, so much ss theorized, so much has already been said, so much has led me to... hunger dammit!!!! We don't need to reinvent the wheel or even always make a new dinner, I need F-O-O-D. Nothing fancy, but a simple meal to commemorate finishing the draft of the paper....
I just want some simple leftovers, easy food, healthy and tasty...is that so wrong. Must I create a policy memo/five course meal for this or can we just get down to business and start enjoying what's left in the refrigerator? Yes, I know the truth...you got lots of strange stuff hiding on those shelves;turning colours;changing textures...well use em or lose em I say.
We have enough food waste and food want in the world so for me, today, its time for rice and beans. And since its autumn and my box of veg is filled with cabbage, carrots, and onions well we need to have that just about every night as well. So as I type and eat the last remnants of the weeks bacon, rutabaga( swede) and red cabbage soup I will toss together the following great recipe for Rice and Beans stuffed in cabbage rolls...
WHAT YOU NEED
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and fine dice
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 carrot, peeled and fine dice
1 pepper, seeded and fine dice
1 hot pepper, seeded if desired, and fine dice
2T tomato puree
1/2 bunch cilantro, cleaned and stems and leaves separated
2T paprika , hot
1T cumin seeds
2 cups leftover brown rice
2 cups leftover beans
fresh lime juice at end
12 large outer cabbage leaves, boiled or steamed till soft
WHAT TO DO
- Heat large fry pan over medium high heat and add 1 T olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes till softened and browned.
- Add carrot, hot pepper, cumin and pepper and cook down further five minutes, deglazing pan with water, beer or wine as necessary to prevent burning.
- Add tomato paste, paprika and cilantro stems to pan and cook down two minutes.
- Add rice and beans to pan and heat thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste.
- Finish with fresh cilantro( coriander) and lime juice.
- Wrap in cooked cabbage leaves and serve.
MORE DISHES TO WASH
- Serve with home made salsa and/or guacamole.
- Use as a stuffing for peppers, courgettes or onions and top with melted cheese.
- Served open faced and topped with a fried or poached egg for a tasty Sunday brunch treat.
- Yup your right I did not in the end reinvent the wheel, i just changed my normal vegetarian stuffed cabbage to cabbage stuffed with rice and beans and smothered with salsa and feta cheese!