Every year it happens to us. We make a holiday meal such as the one you are stressing over today in America: the turkey is in the oven, the potatoes are a roasting or mashing or sweet and under the marshmallows, and then it occurs to us? What do I got to do with those sprouts? Well for sprouts or cauliflower or any of those root veg such as beets, carrots, parsnips or sun chokes here is an easy, heavenly treat....
What you need
250g ( 1/2 pound ) streaky bacon, large dice
1.5 kilogram ( 3 pounds) Brussels sprouts, washed, ends trimmed off and cut in half
salt and pepper
spice of choice ( fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black onion seeds, etc)
What to do
- Turn oven to 200 degrees Celsius ( 385 F)
- ON large baking tray spread out bacon and place in oven till fat is rendered and bacon starts to crisp slightly.
- Toss Brussels sprouts on top of bacon ( add splash of olive oil if you have been skimpy on the bacon)
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and spices
- Roast in oven till lightly browned ( 1/2 hour)
More dishes to wash
- Substitute in small rough chop of carrots, beets and turnips for a colourful change.
- Sprinkle some Stilton or other blue cheese over vegetables just before serving.
- Try this recipe with cauliflower, and toss hot vegetable quickly with spinach for a seasonal wilted side "salad" dressed with a squeeze of lemon and a few pomegranate seeds